Let’s be completely honest here, sometimes the practical car isn’t always the fun car. Most of us wish for a car that is fun but at the same time inexpensive and able to carry all of our stuff around without encroaching on our space. Too often, the current vehicle we’re driving falls way short of at least one of these necessities. If it’s fun and sporty, that usually translates to tiny. If it’s practical and spacious, we’re bored stiff driving it every single day. Sedans usually fall into the practical, but boring category. Well, until now anyway.
Wanting to shed the boring and practical image, automakers are starting to make some very classy and sporty sedans. No longer is the four door car equal to the boring-mobile. A family car doesn’t have to be the worst thing to happen to those who have to give up their cute little car in favor of more space. Four doors don’t have to lock you into an oblivion of boredom and dread. Recent trends in auto manufacturing have made it quite a bit easier to not only relish in the spaciousness of your new ride, but also to enjoy it.
- Nissan Altima – The classic middle of the road in Nissan’s sedans, the Altima is small enough to still be fun and sporty, but big enough to feel safe on the road and carry all your stuff around. Four doors make it easy to access the back seat if the need arises for a car seat, but without making you feel weighed down and cumbersome. Loaded with safety, convenience, and technology features, the Altima is not only driver friendly, but it is also quite budget friendly. Starting at $22,300, this little vehicle specializes in maximum power but efficient gas mileage.
- Honda Accord – So you have to give up your Civic to make more room, or maybe you just think you need a more adult car. Perhaps you’ve landed a dream job and don’t want to pull up to business meetings in your ancient Honda with the coffee stains and scratches. The Accord is the perfect transition for a former Civic driver, as it carries over all of the fun features, but leaves behind the lack of trunk space and a cramped back seat. Boasting an impressive 37mpg on the highway, the Accord’s $22K asking price will prove to be well worth every penny.
- Toyota Camry – The midsize sedan between the compact Corolla and the oversized Avalon, the Camry looks as young as it will feel. Available in eleven different colors and eight different trim levels, the Camry manages to stay very youth oriented, offering three models in a hybrid version. From front fender to rear bumper, the Camry is designed to be gawked at with fun curves and smooth lines to guarantee aerodynamics. Fast enough to keep the teenager inside you happy, it’s also loaded with safety features including ten standard airbags. It’s a little more expensive than the previous models, but still worth it.
- Mazda 6 – Mazda is known for its Zoom Zoom ad campaign that almost ensures that their cars are as fun as they look. The Mazda 6 was made a little bit sportier, and a little bit ferocious looking in the front end. Averaging 40mpg on the highway, the Mazda 6 is a little more budget friendly than the others on the list, and still delivers right around the $21K price tag. With enough space for five adults, this little powerhouse isn’t short on power or technology. Classy from the inside out, the Mazda 6 is the best kind of transition.
- Ford Fusion – Noticeably the only non-import on the list, Ford has stepped up their game in recent years in an effort to shed a less than stellar reputation. The answer to people looking for something bigger and better than the Focus, Ford delivered big-time with the Fusion. Available in hybrid and the patented Energi models the Fusion is every bit as awesome as it looks. With a smooth ride, maxed out technology, safety features galore, and a $22k price tag, the Fusion is an amazingly fun car with the practicality that comes along with adulthood.
There are many other choices on the market when transitioning to a used sedan or simply picking out a new one, but the above-mentioned models are the top performers in the auto market. Each of these models has the ability to blend comfortability, affordability, and safety without giving up your adventuresome side. You have to get older, but no one says you have to completely grow up!